Hey there beautiful people!
My savory Jamaican Stew Peas recipe is sure to delight the senses of your entire family. Jamaican Stew Peas is a traditional stew made with stew beef, salt beef and pigs tail. Slow cooked with red kidney beans and creamy coconut milk. Oh my! You can already get a sense of how rich these flavors must be. Then, it is served over white rice for a completely delicious meal.
Jamaican Stew Peas Remixed
However, this is a versatile dish that can be cooked with meat or made vegetarian friendly. I have remixed the ingredients list to reflect my personal preference. At home, I normally make Jamaican Stew Peas without pork or beef, so that it is completely vegetarian. The stew remains just as flavorful. In this particular recipe, I used turkey. Check out my YouTube video to see how I make mine! To top it off, you must enjoy it with some sweet fried plantain. I have a video showing you how to fry ripe plantains, right HERE.
So, Jamaican Stew Peas takes quite some time to prepare. It is a labor of love. The results are worth every second. The proof is in the pot! You can soak the red kidney beans overnight in order to save some time cooking. Please click the picture below to be taken directly to my YouTube video where I walk you through this recipe step by step.
- 1.5 pounds Smoked turkey
- 16 ounces Red kidney beans (Dried)
- 1 cup Coconut milk
- 2 stalks Scallion (chopped)
- 6 sprigs Thyme (chopped)
- 1/4 Red bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1/4 Green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1/2 Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 Scotch Bonnet pepper (whole)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon Pimento seeds
- Ground Seasonings
- 1.5 teaspoon all purpose seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- add salt to taste (optional)
- Spinners: 1 cup flour + enough water to form dough
- Wash and drain kidney beans and then set aside.
- Add turkey, beans, garlic, and 6 cups of water to a large pot.
- Cook on medium low heat for 1.5 to 2 hours or until kidney beans are tender.
- *** Note: water will evaporate during this time, please add hot water to the pot as it boils out in order to maintain water. ***
- Also: You many cut down on cooking time by soaking your peas overnight.
- Once beans are tender, add coconut milk and reduce heat to low then stir.
- Add scallion, thyme, bell peppers, Scotch Bonnet pepper, onion, garlic, and pimento seeds.
- Add ground seasonings and stir to combine everything
- Begin adding spinners to your pot and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve over white rice and enjoy with fried plantains !
When making spinners (dumpling) please be sure to add the water in very small increments until you have added enough water to form the dough.
Thanks for stopping by and please Subscribe to my YouTube channel! Let’s keep in touch through Twitter, Facebook, Instagram. Sharing is caring, so if you enjoyed this article and/or video please share it with a friend and much love to you!
Please support by:
* Shopping my Amazon Store
Check out these other great recipes: